Garden Design & Maintenance
Short descriptionSELF-PACED; LIFE-TIME ACCESS; 14DAYS MONEY BACK GUARANTEE An email will be sent to you with Course login instructions after the purchase
Have a question?
How do you do garden maintenance? How do you design a good garden? What are the principles of garden design? Taken this Garden Design and Maintenance Online Course you will be able to learn everything you will need to become a professional in this field. If you already have the experience, you will be able to improve and grow as a specialsit.
Whether you are thinking of starting a career outdoors as a gardening expert or you are already working in the industry and are thinking of starting your own garden company, then the Garden Design and Maintenance Diploma is the right choice for you. Introduction to the Garden Design and Maintenance Diploma. This information-packed course will teach you the basics you need to start your own gardening company or boost your career within the gardening industry. You can turn your hobby into a successful business by completing the twenty-nine modules and passing the multiple-choice question test. The modules cover everything from basic gardening to pest control, landscaping, and more. The course takes approximately fifteen hours to complete and on successful completion, you will have the ability to download and print your industry recognised diploma. When applying for a position within the gardening industry, your potential employer will be able to confirm your certification online. During your studies, you will enjoy the convenience of studying at your own pace with no set schedule and from anywhere using any device, as long as you have a connection to the internet to access the modules.
What You Will LearnThe twenty-nine modules included in this Online Course Garden Design and Maintenance Diploma are brimming with information to help you jump start your gardening career and turn your hobby and passion into a money-making opportunity.
- Learn the basics of gardening from the various soil types to plant planning and purchasing.
- Identify an effective garden planning process from the initial consultation with the client through to site surveys, maintenance planning, to the final and completed project.
- Know different garden design styles. Learn how to gain inspiration throughout the day, how to design a mood board and how to implement your design effectively for the best results.
- Understand site surveys, approvals and measuring techniques. Learn how to use survey maps, photographic records and what surveys and appraisals you are going to need before you begin.
- Learn the benefits of project planning.
- Know the five forms that should be included in all your client packs.
- Learn more about drawing a plan and essential graphic skills.
- Know the various surfaces and materials, understand what hard landscaping is and how to deal with it.
- Know the secrets of great soil.
- Understand the importance of the right plan selection and care. This includes use of colours to make an impact.
- Gain valuable plant knowledge that you can use daily to make the best choices based on your design, garden location and finish.
- Learn how to identify high maintenance areas within any garden. Know the different options when it comes to low maintenance planning.
- Learn the importance of sustainability. Know what plants to use, about water conservation and how to recycle and reuse when working in any garden.
- Learn essential tips for reducing maintenance in difficult to manage and overgrown gardens.
- Know what equipment you are going to need, what equipment you will need for certain jobs and what each item is capable of.
- Get a good understanding of the most common garden pests, natural and chemical pesticides, integrated pest management and how to come up with a pest management plan that will work.
- Identify effective solutions for difficult gardens from adding container plants to adding additional irrigation and more.
- Know what to plan in a herb and vegetable garden.
- Know what you need to start your own gardening business to achieve success.
- Learn more about marketing your business, health and safety in the workplace, insurance, tax and record keeping, just to name a few of the points covered in this industry recognised course.
- Gain valuable insight into raising flower beds, laying patios, decking, fencing, know more about artificial grass, how to lay lawn and how to build a fish pond.
Benefits of the Garden Design and Maintenance DiplomaThis course is designed to provide you with a wide range of benefits, including:
- An easy to understand syllabus that you can learn at home and in your own time.
- Improve your career prospects with an industry recognised diploma.
- Learn using any device at any time.
- Enjoy ongoing support during your studies.
Video review to learn how to design the perfect landscape
Module 1: Gardening Basics
- Soil type, soil evaluation & soil improvement: learn about the different types of natural soil and additional plant mixers that can be used to stimulate plant growth.
- Garden planning & preparation: Understand the importance of initial planning on paper, before beginning the practical aspects of gardening.
- Plant planning & purchase tips: Determine plant types and their uses, discover plant purchasing techniques.
- Maintenance-Soil Nourishment & Watering: Learn the different materials essential for the nourishment of soil to facilitate the growing and maintenance of healthy plants.
Module 2: Garden Design Process
- To discover the importance of the initial consultation, ongoing discussions, clarity, and onsite analysis.
- To understand the necessity of site surveying and garden concept plans to aid the decision- making process and avoid potential mishaps.
- The basic elements of a good garden design, including the plant options, hardscapes, texture, and color elements.
- To become aware of the process in reaching the master garden plan stage and incorporating further elements during the implementation stage.
Module 3: Garden Design Styles
- The importance of gathering inspiration daily from all avenues of your life, nature, other gardens, books, online and your creative inspiration.
- An expansive list of garden design possibilities and the insight that there can be one singular theme, a combination of two or more or an adapted version of any.
- How creating a garden design mood board assists both the owner and garden designer in creating a visual effect of the ideas, colours, plants and preferred overall theme, which can be incorporated into the garden space and features available.
- How to use a virtual mood board created from an array of images.
Module 4 : Survey, Site Appraisal & Measuring Techniques
- Materials and areas of measurements required for surveying a site for garden design
- The various measurement techniques used for accurately measuring the different aspects required for completing a site survey, including curved and irregular areas
- Various scales used in recording site measurements on survey maps
- Correct photographic recordings and survey map drawing requirements
Module 5 : Planning Your Projects
- Learn the benefits of project planning regardless of the size of project
- Become knowledgeable in the stages of project planning
- Discover the importance of creating timelines, chronological action step lists and available resources
- Learn about developing preliminary plans and baseline plans when planning a garden project
Module 6 : Proportion Illusions & Effective Use of Space
- Discover ways to incorporate and create optical illusion methods to enhance small garden spaces so they appear larger than life, such as creating focal points and distractions
- You will learn many techniques including the use of long lines and garden division methods
- The effective use of space to create a garden that suits all tastes and preferences
- Learn about narrow plant varieties, shelf layering and creating a portable garden to suit small gardens
Module 7 : Drawing a Plan & Graphics Skills
- You will learn how time spent with creative experimentation on paper can result in saving a lot of timely and costly delays and allow for the optimal garden creation for each space
- You will learn how to draw a garden plan which offers beauty and practicality once you have carried out a site survey and consultation
- You will discover how to create a scale for your garden plan that allows ease of following and minimize mistakes
- You will know how to create a graphic from your garden plan to show best visual representation for the proposed changes and design options
Module 8 : Surface & Materials/Hard Landscaping
- The different considerations you should make before deciding which garden surface materials to choose for each landscape for effective style and functionality.
- The different hard landscaping options, which can be used for varying garden requirements and preferences from solid garden flooring options like stone and concrete to softer, uneven options such as glass beadings or pebbles.
- The advantages and uses of combining two or more hard surface options within one garden such as cost, functionality and style.
- How to be familiar with the creative use of hard landscaping materials that are used to turn dull spaces into stunning visual displays and create functional but attractive garden areas.
Module 9 : Secrets of Great Soil
- Learn the composition of the various soil types including their textures and unique components.
- Learn the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of soil and what can be done to enhance each for increased fertility.
- Discover the types of plants that are best suited to each soil type: sandy, chalky, clay, peat, silt and loam.
- Discover the secrets of creating great soil by use of organic, natural materials.
Module 10 : Plant Selection and Care
- Learn the advantages of planting native species to enhance your garden and surrounding wildlife species
- Learn how to best use space constraints and other factors to adhere to when planning the spatial aspects of plant life.
- Learn about color themes and the color wheel so that the garden plants, shrubs and trees chosen complement the existing background and client preferences.
- Learn about the effect of sunlight and climate features in relation to plant selection.
Module 11 : Plant Knowledge
- Understand plant reproductive systems: Asexual and sexual reproduction, plus a little plant physiology.
- Receive a brief introduction to plant classification for a beginning to what plants to use.
- Learn what plants work well in different gardens and the importance of matching certain plants together.
- Learn about exotic and tropical plants, the care they need and how to grow them in temperate climates.
Module 17 : Solutions to Difficult Gardens
- About adding container plants to keep the plants owners love without possible difficulties
- How changing irrigation and watering systems can make a difficult garden easier to manage
- About adding new plants with an eye towards low maintenance or new landscaping for easier gardens
- How sometime starting over is the best option